Skip to content ↓

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are the best people to talk to at Greenside Primary School about my child's special educational needs, disability or difficulties with learning?

  • Talk to your child's class teacher about your concerns
  • It is likely that class teacher will have discussed your concerns the  SENDCo Sophie Weitzman.You may wish to arrange a meeting.
  • If you continue to have concerns arrange to discuss these with the Headteacher.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child's learning, speical educational needs and disabilities?

  • Your child's class teacher may initially speak to you at the beginning or end of a normal school day and arrange a further time to discuss the concerns. 
  • The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues at a parent/teacher consultation meeting. 
  • The SENDCo or class teacher contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your child's difficulties with learning and any possible support strategies the school may be considering. 

How will the school consider my views and those of my child in regard to their difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability? 

  • At Greenside Primary School we believe it is very important for parents/carers to be involved in all areas of their child's learning and we actively encourage discussions. We believe, where appropriate, that it is essential to understand your child's views on any difficulties they may experience with their learning. 
  • You will be able to share your views and discuss your child's progress at regular meetings with the class teacher and others. 
  • If your child has an identified special education need or disability, you will be invited to a termly meeting with the class teacher and SENDCo to discuss current progress, support strategies being used and expected outcomes.  
  • If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) you and your child will be able to share your views at the statutory Annual Review process. Each half term the SENDCo will off to meet with you and your child to discuss current progress and suitability of provision.

How does Greenside ensure that the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child?

  • We provide all staff with regular training to support pupils with special educational needs and disabilities. 
  • We regularly review the school training schedule and professional development for all teaching and support staff to ensure there is appropriate expertise to support children with special educational needs and disabilities. 
  • The school is able to access training programmes from Hammersmith and Fulham. 
  • Individual training is also arranged when necessary. 
  • The SENDCo is also resposible for keeping up to date with their own professional developent and sharing information and current developments in the area of SEND with staff. 

How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to meet my child's needs?

  • We carefully plan our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children. 
  • The class teacher will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child's special educational needs and/or disability. 
  • It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies or resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child's learning needs. 
  • Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary. 
  • Accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child's learning. 
  • Greenside Primary School regularly reviews its Accessibility Plan to ensure that all children have the fullest access to the curriculum and the school site as possible. 

What types of support may be suitable for my child?

The specific type of support suitable available to your child depends upon the nature of their needs and difficulties with learning.  Our education provisions will match the needs of the four broad areas of need as defined in the SEND Code of Practice 2014;

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

 At Greenside Primary School we have a three tiered approach to supporting a child’s learning.

  • Tier 1: Universal – this is the quality first teaching your child will receive from their class teacher and may include some adaptations to match learning needs.
  • Tier 2: Targeted - it may be appropriate to consider making additional short term special educational provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to your child’s learning. This takes the form of a graduated four part approach a) Assessing your child’s needs through looking closely at specific targets for your child and establish goal with any additional adults working with your child b) Planning the most effective and appropriate intervention c) Providing intervention. This intervention may be run outside the classroom, individually or in small group’s sessions. You will be kept informed of your child’s progress towards learning outcomes. Specific targeted one to one or small group interventions may be run outside the classroom. We strive to provide an appropriate learning space for all children. D) Reviewing the impact on your child’s progress towards individual learning outcomes.
  • Tier 3: Specialist – it may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long term support from a specialist professional outside the school in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child. This may include educational psychology (EP), speech and language therapy (SALT), occupational therapy (OT), sensory advisory teachers , behaviour specialists and the child development service (CHEYNE). The school may need to prioritise referrals to these services. However, for a very small number of pupils access to these specialists may be through an EHC Plan.

What is an EHC Plan and who can request one for my child?

The purpose of an EHC Plan is to make special education provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/her gets older, prepare for adulthood.
An EHC Plan will contain;

  • The views and aspirations of you and your child
  • A full description of his/her special educational needs and any health and social care needs,
  • Outcomes for your child’s progress
  • The provision required and how education, health and social care will work together to meet your child’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes
  • You, your child (where appropriate and aged 16 and over) and/or the school (Usually the SENDCo or Teacher in Charge) can request that the local authority conduct an assessment of your child’s needs. This may lead to an EHC Plan.

Who are the other people providing servies to pupils with SEND at Greenside?

How will the school support my child in transition stages?

  • We liaise closely with the school or nursery your child is transferring from. We are able to discuss with the relevant teachers any individual needs and how best to support your child in school.
  • While at Greenside Primary School we take care to ensure that during transition points (between classes each year and at the end of Key Stages) all staff are aware of individual pupils needs, learning progress and best support strategies.
  • We makes arrangements to ensure there is a smooth transition when your child transfers to his/her secondary school of choice. Please contact us for further details.
  • If your child has an EHC Plan, we will participate and/or facilitate its review in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases of education. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews.  

What support do we have for you as a parent/carer of a pupil with SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and Greenside, so that similar strategies can be used. 
  • The SENDCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns /worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. 
  • Personalised progress targets /Support Plans/ will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
  • Home Learning will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements. 
  • A home contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

If I have any other questions about SEND at Greenside, who can I ask?

To learn more about our approach to Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND), all parents are welcome to contact our SENDCo: 

SENDCo: Sophie Weitzman

Email: or

Phone Number: 020 8743 6421